Tips to buy Commercial Refrigeration Products
The selection of the right commercial refrigeration system for your business’ needs is not an easy task. Those who want to purchase a new refrigerator or freezer for their store may find a vast array of options when they start to look for equipment. It should be kept in mind that like any other major purchase, brand is important for commercial refrigerator products also. While some of the brands are known for quality and durability, some other brands focus on the price tag. It is advisable to go for products from a reputable manufacturer. For all the brands that are available, there are also manufacturer’s warranties to be considered. When choosing a product, compare warranty coverage and the way any issues will be handled. Another very important factor is choosing the correct sized unit for your application. Know the measurements of the space available for your new equipment: length, width and height. You also need to be aware of the dimensions of the entryway the equipment will be brought in and the presence of any obstacles that may be in the way. The condensing unit is a vital part of the refrigerator. On self contained units the compressor will be attached top the equipment so any heat and noise produced will be inside the store.
Energy efficiency saves money
Anyone looking to purchase commercial refrigeration equipment should be aware of the fact that refrigerators and freezers are potentially the largest users of energy. Business owners can substantially reduce their utility costs by way of choosing energy efficient equipment. The refrigerators and freezers with Energy Star rating have been tested by independent laboratories and have passed strict guidelines regarding energy efficiency and insulation. If you have a choice, always choose Energy Star.
Quality Construction is Key
There are many different ways to make walk in panels. Knox Refrigeraton uses the best: wood framed urethane foamed in place panels that are covered with embossed, galvanized steel. Many panels are made with inferior insulation and won’t give you the same energy saving performance. We also use quality refrigeration components with easy to find replacement parts and size the equipment for the correct load. Undersized equipment may be cheaper up front but it will have to run more to keep your product cold and may not keep up on the hottest days of the year. Our display door manufacturer is the industry leader with the best engineered LED lighting systems in the market and many other energy saving innovations.
Remember, you may save a few dollars on your initial purchase, but you will spend all of them and more on poor energy efficiency and service issues.
Purchasing New Commercial Refrigeration
Purchasing new refrigeration for your store is an excellent way to MAKE money and SAVE money. New merchandising units are designed to showcase the products you are selling. Improved lighting and gravity flow shelving will make the items your customer wants easier to find, reach and purchase. With improved insulation and gaskets, your refrigerator or freezer will stay cold using less energy. The refrigeration system will run less and put less heat into your store.
Engineered LED lighting will provide significant savings over fluorescent lighting by using less energy to operate and by being nearly maintenance free for years. Fluorescent lights lose brightness as they age. It happens slowly so you may not notice it, but your old fluorescents may only be giving out a fraction of the light they were when they were new.
With walk in display coolers and freezers, the key is in the design. You want your customers to clearly see the items you are offering them. We will design your display doors to have the largest viewable area possible and we’ll make sure the refrigeration system is the right size to do the job. We will use best form of insulation for the application and work with you to choose a color and finish for the doors and walls that will make your store look great. All of our walks in display units meet all Federal energy guidelines such as energy saving fans, lighting and door glass/ frame heater controls.
Five Questions To Ask Yourself Before Purchasing Commercial Refrigeration
Commercial refrigeration is essential to any food service business; whether You own a liquor store, convenience store, restaurant, deli, warehouse…the list goes on! Here at Knox we not only believe in providing quality equipment to our customers, but most importantly we want to provide our customers with the correct units for their needs. Here are some questions you may be asking yourself while considering the purchase of new commercial refrigeration.
- Can I use a residential unit for my store? The answer to this one is simple: It is not a good idea. Residential units are fine for the home use because they are not nearly getting the volume and use of a commercial unit. Your residential unit is probably opened only a handful of times per day while a commercial unit is opened hundreds of times. Residential units are not designed to commercial standards and will not hold up for the long run.
- I’ve never opened a store. I don’t know what would work best for me. This is what we’re here for. Just give us a call and speak to one of our knowledgeable representatives and they will let you know exactly what would work best for your type of store. As long as you have an idea of what you are looking to sell, we will give you a great idea of what type of equipment you need to attain. We will help with the planning of your store and help to maximizes sales and merchandizing.
- What do people mean by Remote or Self Contained Refrigeration? What is the difference? The difference between Remote and Self Contained is pretty simple. A remote unit has the refrigeration separate from the equipment itself. This means the condensing unit/compressor is either in a basement, outdoors, on the roof, etc. A self contained unit, on the other hand, has the condensing unit/compressor built in to the piece of equipment. While this is a less expensive way to go about it, you will have all the noise and the heat of the refrigeration in the store.
Remote units are the only way to go for large refrigeration equipment, such as walk in coolers and freezers, endless door lineups of freezer and cooler doors, produce cases, meat , deli and fish cases because the heat and noise is generally moved outdoors where it isn’t a disturbance inside the store.
- I don’t have the budget right now for new equipment. Is it smart to purchase used? This is a tricky question. By purchasing used, you aren’t guaranteed to get the quality expected when purchasing a new unit. Here at Knox we do sell “used” equipment, but it is reconditioned/remanufactured to work as if it’s brand new. Buying used cases on websites like eBay or Craigslist is a huge risk since you truly don’t know what you’re getting from the seller. There will be no warranty and you will be on your own if you have problems down the road.
- Is maintenance easy for commercial units? Yes! As long as you take care of it on a regular basis depending on environmental conditions. Coils must be kept clean for operation and energy efficiency.
Commercial Refrigeration Energy Saving Tips
We all know how high those electrical bills can be. Running power hungry commercial refrigeration units can end up costing you thousands of dollars a year. Finding ways to reduce your business energy consumption is a great way to save money and it will also help to keep your equipment running smoothly. Below, we will talk about ways to keep your commercial refrigeration equipment working efficient thus saving your company money.
Proper maintenance can save you money
- One of the most common problems that can drive your electricity bill through the roof is having dirty coils on your refrigeration equipment. A dirty coil can cause your unit to work harder than it normally should and this pulls amps. Inspecting your coils once a month and cleaning any dirt or dust from them will reduce energy use and keep more money in your pocket.
- Door gasket can become weak due to repetitive opening and shutting. This can allow cold air to escape from freezers and refrigerators causing a spike in the power bill. By replacing gaskets and seals not only will your unit use less power but it will keep your stock from reaching dangerous temperatures.
- Another great way to cut power consumption is to install motion sensors for those walk in case refrigeration units. There is no need to run lights 24 hours a day and by having motion sensors installed, it will turn lights on and off when needed.
- If ice machines are part of your business make sure to keep them free of dirt and grime. De-scaling your ice machine twice a year and keeping the coils clean is a great way to save money and help prolong the life of your machine.
- Hiring a professional commercial refrigeration maintenance company to service your units once a year is another great way to keep your machines from using up unnecessary energy. It’s also a great way to keep you from having costly breakdowns as well. The cost of hiring a company to perform yearly preventive maintenance will pay for itself with the money you will save on electricity.
We hope that now you know some quick tips to keep your commercial refrigeration working efficiently. Don’t forget to let us know if you need to purchase new equipment we are here to help or check out our online store at http://knox.calcomtech.com